Coffee grounds have many more uses than you might think. After reading this article, you will not be able to do without them anymore!
Why throw away your coffee grounds? From beauty to gardening, its thousand uses will surprise you!
1. Pest repellent – Everyone likes coffee…or almost. What you didn’t know until now is that coffee grounds repel insects and pests! Just distribute a handful around your plants to keep snails, ants and bugs at bay.
2. Food odour neutralizer – An excellent substitute for sodium bicarbonate, try putting coffee grounds in an open container in your fridge or freezer to combat food odours. Between, if you’ve come into contact with garlic or onion, try rubbing coffee grounds on your hands. Better keep some in the kitchen then?
3. Garden fertilizer – Whether you have a terrace, a balcony or a beautiful garden, you might not necessarily have green fingers. Coffee grounds can help though: mixed with grass and dried leaves, and hey presto: a brilliant natural fertilizer, for free! Coffee grounds add nitrogen and potassium to the soil, increasing the magnesium intake that plants need so much.
4. Beauty Secret – Coffee and beauty routine? Certainly! Coffee grounds are perfect for a beautiful body, face and hair. For the skin, for example, it is an excellent exfoliator. Simply mix a little with hot water and natural oil and rub into your skin to remove dead cells. This is not the end of the story! By mixing 2 tablespoons of coffee powder, 2 tablespoons of cocoa, 3 tablespoons of whole milk and 1 tablespoon of honey you get a rejuvenating and antioxidant facial. Finally, massaging coffee grounds into your hair before shampooing restores its natural, healthy shine.
5. Cleaning the fireplace – Cleaning the fireplace can be a real nightmare, with dust scattering all over the house. Coffee grounds, however, can make it less complicated and disordered. Just sprinkle a little on the ashes; it’ll, weigh them down and stop those annoying clouds from forming.
6. Housewife’s Friend – Dirt that’s encrusted on pots and pans will no longer be a problem. The coarse consistency of coffee grounds will fix it without scratches.
7. Bricolage – Raise your hand if you don’t have a wooden piece of furniture with at least one scratch! Before you give up and throw it out it, give coffee grounds a try: make a thick dough with water and coffee, then rub it on the scratch with a cotton bud and wait 5 – 10 minutes. Wipe once more with a cotton cloth until the dough turns into the right colour.
8. Cleaning our 4-legged companion – Even fleas don’t like coffee! That’s why the coffee grounds are often used as natural and non-aggressive repellents. Rubbing your pet’s fur after shampooing also helps it to be shinier and softer.